Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Mini-View Featuring Jessica Cameron


Jessica Cameron was born and raised in Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada and moved to Toronto to study fashion at Ryerson University. After finishing her degree she moved to Ohio to work as a fashion designer and in her spare time she decided to try an acting class. The acting bug bit, and Jessica has since made acting her full time career. In the two short years she has been acting, she has already been involved in cast in a number of roles for music videos, TV shows and feature films. Most recently she will be playing Princess Areola in the feature film Potpourri directed by Elliot Diviney. She just wrapped on the feature film Resurrection, directed by Jeff Burr.

Jessica's IMDB page:

Mr. Hush Official Page:

Potpourri Official Page:

Watch for Jessica in Mushroomhead's song Soul is Mine from the Saw VI soundtrack:




1. Looking back in your life, was there a moment you realized you wanted to become an actress? Or perhaps an actress or film that maybe inspired you?

I knew that I loved acting the moment that I took my first class. It was just such a challenge. But I knew that I wanted to make it my career after I auditioned for the feature film The Dead Matter. The audition was at Precinct 13 studios and I got to audition for the director (Ed Douglas), producer (Gary Jones) and a few others. Gary was reading the stage direction and actually lost his place, which I took as a great sign. They had me do a bunch of improve, and then my "horror film scream", once I was done they were all on their feet clapping. I knew in that moment that this is what I was meant to do.
When I was on the set those feelings were further developed - there is simply no place I would rather be then on a film set.

2. In the film Resurrection your character, Lenore, was a waitress. For those who do not know, you yourself made a living waiting tables as well. Would you say this helped prepare you for the role? Also, do you think waitresses and waiters use a certain amount of acting when dealing with customers?

It totally did! I often try to draw on my own personal experiences to make my performances richer and deeper. I think it helps to make the charters feel more seamless.

I waitressed to pay for college and although I did enjoy it, I understand the mentality that career waitresses have. So I used that to fuel my characters motivation in those scenes.

(laughs) It's funny you mention waitresses acting. I think some do more then others. When I was bored I would pretend to be someone else completely different. I would tell the customers a different name, answer their questions totally different then what the reality was. I created complex characters and played them out to keep myself entertained. And yes - I did get caught a few times. Once a customer came in and asked if "Julia" was working, of course the manager explained that there were no waitresses named Julia....

3. Before breaking into acting you attended Ryerson University in Toronto studying fashion, is this something you have been able to use when working on films? Or perhaps another element that has yet to go untapped?

It has. I am very particular about how my clothes look and fit so I ALWAYS bring some of my own wardrobe with me, just in case it is needed. Wardrobe really helps me to set the tone of my character, so I use my knowledge to my advantage. I have an incredibly large wardrobe too so that helps a lot! Sometimes if my character gets to wear a crazy outfit I will ask if I can be in charge of creating it, with the films approval of course. On the set of Potpourri I played a princess in an alternate world, and in one scene had to have this totally trashed princess dress. It was so much fun to create this dress and then destroy it!

4. Celebrity crushes, we all have them. Can you let us into that pretty head of yours and divulge who yours may be and why?

Celebrity crushes.....I have to admit I do have a few. Here's a taste!

Christian Slater - I LOVE a bad boy and he has this amazing charm about him. I have also been greatly impressed with his career and acting skills. I find him very dashing.

Sheri Moon Zombie - What can I say...she is breathtakingly gorgeous and so talented. I was enamored with her in House of a 1000 Corpses.

Ryan Reynolds - hes Canadian and single...need I say more?! Also I love his witty sense of humour. That is a BIG turn-on for me, wit and humour! His amazing body also does not hurt either....

5. Finally, as many young actresses who have came before you and been faced with it.... There has always been this marriage between horror films and sex, what is your stance on nudity in film?

You are 100% correct, there is.

Since I am wanting to work on all types of films, I have decided to not do nudity at this time. I do A LOT of implied nudity (Pasties and underwear), and have worked with a body double for "faking" it. I have no judgement to other actresses that do nudity - it is just not what I am interested in doing at this time in my career. Its a hard balance for any actress to make. Nudity can really help your horror career but it can also hurt your career in other genres. At the end of the day it comes down to what are you comfortable with.

I am actually very comfortable naked (as any of the people on the sets that I have done implied nudity for will attest to) its just not right for my career at this time to show more. Perhaps one day....


Thank so much to Jessica for taking time out of her busy schedule during this Holiday season to agree to do a Mini-View!
- B. Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment