Sunday, December 25, 2011

Top Five Christmas Films/Specials

This year I wanted to do something a little different in celebration of the holidays. So I'm posting clips, or trailers, of my five favorite Christmas films. I'll also be following each with a reason for them. Hope you all enjoy and have a very happy holiday no matter what your beliefs!

- B.Bennett




Coming in at number five we have Christmas Comes to Pac-Land, which originally aired December 16, 1982. While I was only two years old at the time, my parents recorded this special on VHS at some point and it's been a staple every year since. Why? Because I'm a video game nerd, and who doesn't want to learn a cheery holiday lesson from the Pac's?



Number four is the classic A Garfield Christmas Special from 1987. In this one we get several catchy tunes, and a 'bring a tear to your eye' moment with John's grandma when Garfield finds a stack of old letters from her deceased husband. Plus seeing John's brotherly comradery with his brother Doc Boy reminds me so much my younger brother and myself.



My third favorite is Richard Donner's 1988 retelling of  A Christmas Carol, Scrooged starring Bill Murray. Bill FUCKING Murray... need I say more?



Second of all time is the 1974 horror flick Black Christmas, directed by Bob Clark of A Christmas Story fame. Black Christmas is a film I saw at a very young age that left a very dirty feeling with me. A kin to many peoples first viewing of  The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's one of the few movies that still unnerves me a little.



Rounding out this list is Jim Henson's 1986 TV special The Christmas Toy. Beating out Toy Story by almost 10 years, this film about toys coming to life when the children who own them leave the room later became a TV show called Secret Life of Toys. The special and show can all be seen on Netflix streaming. This film has been a tradition in my family for years.  Not only did I watch it with my parents, brother and sister, but also with my younger cousin Heather who would spend every Christmas night at our house up until I was almost out of high school. It's one I can watch over and over and never tire. Do yourself a favor and see it again, or for the first time. If you have kids, sit them down and start a new family tradition.

Well, that's it for this year. I hope you all enjoyed these holiday bits. Be on the lookout, I'm going to be starting a new addition to this blog called 365 Days of Trailers... where I will be posting a trailer and a piece on it every day for the next year starting January 1st.

Until we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment